Legionella testing, risk assessment and control
Legionella bacteria, cause of the well-documented Legionnaire’s disease, can grow in any location where water is present; such as HVAC systems, cooling towers, sanitation and general plumbing. Legionella risk assessment is therefore essential to all businesses and public buildings where water is stored and used.
Guidance for controlling Legionella is detailed in HSG274 and in the Approved Code of Practice L8 2013 – The Control of Legionella Bacteria in Water Systems (ACoP L8). If a business doesn’t comply, not only will people’s health be put at risk, responsible parties could be sued for negligence.
Guardian Water Treatment can help you to comply with ACoP L8 by carrying out the necessary legionella risk assessment and implementing suitable legionella control programmes where required. ACoP L8 stipulates the following:
- Identification and assessment of all sources of legionella risk, carried out in accordance with BS 8580:2010 – Water-quality Risk Assessment for Legionella control
- Preparation of a written legionella control scheme
- Appointment of a responsible person to implement and manage the scheme
- Keeping appropriate records
Guardian’s Legionella Risk Assessors are competent City & Guilds qualified engineers, with a detailed knowledge of domestic water systems, able to quickly identify the conditions that can lead to an outbreak of Legionella.
We are also registered with the Legionella Control Association (LCA), to find out more about the LCA and view our certificate, click here
What does a legionella risk assessment cover?
- Physical aspects of a system that may require remedial action
- The effectiveness of any legionella precautions currently being applied
- Advice on pre-treatment equipment and any dosing equipment already used
- Independent assessment of the monitoring and testing regime in place
- Thorough evaluation of records and analysis
- Overview of the composition of water in the system
Throughout this process, our clients have access to our GuardianCare system, which provides access to certificates and reports in real time, allowing users to print out documents as and when they are needed.
Legionella water treatment
When it comes to treating and controlling legionella, Guardian is a water treatment specialist, using chemical water treatments and non-chemical alternatives – we are able to select the best treatment for the given application based on risk and environmental factors. Treatments include Advanced Oxygenation Technology (AOT); a safe and highly effective option for the control of bacterial growth, without the need for harsh chemicals.